Your child didn’t want to die, but mine has to live.
Child’s Pose is the Romanian movie that won the Golden Bear and the FIPRESCI at the Berlin International Movie Festival, 2013. Starring Luminița Gheorghiu, the nominee and winner of a number of important prizes for acting, the movie tells the story, tough and yet tender, about the limitless love of a mother for her only son.
The male leading actor is Bogdan Dumitrache who’s acting perfectly rounds Luminița Gheorghiu’s , but the European public and film critics can enjoy other (already familiar) remarkable actors such as: Vlad Ivanov, Adrian Titieni, Natașa Raab, Florin Zamfirescu, Ilinca Goia.
Director: Călin Peter Netzer
Scriptwriters: Răzvan Rădulescu, Călin Peter Netzer
Cast: Luminița Gheorghiu, Bogdan Dumitrache, Florin Zamfirescu, Ilinca Goia, Natașa Raab, Adrian Titieni, Vlad Ivanov, Mimi Brănescu
Produced by: Călin Peter Netzer, Ada Solomon
Cinematography by: Andrei Butică
Film editing by: Dana Bunescu
Category: feature film
Duration: 112 minutes
78,999 – Cinepub viewers
Cornelia is 60 years old and is deeply unhappy: her son, Barbu, aged 34, is fighting desperately to win his autonomy. He moved out of his parents’ house, drives his own car, has a girlfriend who, obviously, doesn’t live up to his mother’s expectations, and – which is most troubling – he avoids his mother as much as he can. When Cornelia finds out that Barbu was involved in a tragic car crash, her maternal instincts take over. She uses all her capacities, all her influent friend as well as money to keep her son away from jail. Instead, she expects her son to become the child from the past, all dependent on her, which is not even very hard to accomplish due to the state of shock her son is in. But the line between motherly love and manipulation is very thin. Will she find the strenght to set her son free from the child’s pose?
Cornelia is the kind of mother who just won’t let go. Not even when her son rejects her in the most violent and despicable ways. Not even when his girlfriend tries to make her understand that her son has lots of emotional issues, that he is an unstable individual and that her constant presence in his life might be the reason for all those issues.
Not even when she finds herself in front of the mother of the child who was run over by the car Barbu was driving. Even then, her compasion shows in the form of yet another discourse about Barbu, his childhood and the bright future that (she hopes) awaits him.
One of the most powerful mother figures in Romanian movies to be found in a production that, by winning a number of prestigious awards, drew the entire international attention towards the Romanian movie.
„With Child’s Pose, Călin Peter Netzer passes successfully the maturity exam and, without offering us a character easy to identify with, makes us think about our relationships with the loved ones. Where does the love we owe to our parents, children or life partners end and where do egotism, the desire to posses and to dominate, and even paranoia begin? (Mihai Fulger – agenda.liternet.ro )
„The third film by Peter Călin Netzer, Child’s Pose is a study about the malignant symbiosis between a suffocating mother(Luminiţa Gheorghiu) and her all too pampered son (Bogdan Dumitrache), on the background of the gap between privileged and poor social classes, all in the clinical light of a car crash postfactum.” (Andrei Gorzo – agenda.liternet.ro )
“He said our generation should just disappear.”
“You’re so good with arrangements, why don’t you arrange it?”
“Then let him crucify himself, like Jesus.”
”Do as you please. I’m washing my hands of you.”
“Barbu doesn’t have the guts to say what he wants. I don’t know where he gets that cowardice.”
“Don’t I accept everything from you? Including the fact that you don’t love me. I just want you to respect me. That’s all. ”
“Parents find their fulfillment in their children.”
- Nomination for the best movie (director – Călin Peter Netzer), Sydney Film Festival – Australia, 2013
- Nomination for European Actress (Luminița Gheorghiu) at the European Film Academy – 2014
- Golden Berlin Bear and FIPRESCI prize at Berlin International Film Festival – Germany, 2013
- Bayard D’Or for the best movie and the best actress (Luminița Gheorghiu), Namur International Film Festival – Belgium, 2013
- Telia Film Award for the best movie not yet released in Sweden, Stockholm International Film Festival – Sweden, 2013
- Best picture not released in 2013, International Cinephile Society Awards
- Halfway Award, 3rd place, for the best original screenplay (Razvan Radulescu, Calin Peter Netzer) and best actress, 2nd place (Luminița Gheorghiu) , International Online Cinema Awards (INOCA) – 2014
- Best director (Călin Peter Netzer), Best screenplay (Răzvan Radulescu, Călin Peter Netzer ), Best editing (Dana Bunescu), Best sound (Cristian Tarnovetchi, Dana Bunescu, Cristinel Șirli), Best costume design (Irina Marinescu), Best feature film (producers – Călin Peter Netzer, Ada Solomon), Best actor in a supporting role(Vlad Ivanov), Best actress in a supporting role (Ilinca Goia), Premiile Gopo – Romania, 2014
- A Bear for Romania – Child’s Pose, agenda.liternet.ro – www.agenda.liternet.ro
- In the Mood for Bear – Berlin, 2013 – www.agenda.liternet.ro
- Calin peter Netzer’s challengin and intelligent family dramaexplores the dark side of bureaucracy and corruption – www.theguardian.com
- ‘Child’s Pose’ movie review: Romanian thriller is compelling, complex and confounding – www.washingtonpost.com
- A frustrated woman on the verge of more of the same – www.nytimes.com
- Child’s Pose: Berlin review – www.hollywoodreporter.com