- October 15, 2015
A day in the life of a solitary woman in her thirties, as she has to part from her teenage lover.
Directed by: Andreea Cristina Borțun
Cast: Nicoleta Hâncu, Rareș Andrici, Cătălin Borțun
Script: Andreea Cristina Borțun
Producer: Gabi Suciu
Cinematography by: Adrian Bulboacă
Edited by: Tudor D Popescu
Sound: Roxana Bain
Music: Eszter Tompa
Category: short film
Duration: 15 minutes
5,159 – Cinepub viewers
The story of a 30-year-old woman who must part ways with her much younger lover. A study in the art of non-verbal communication and the futility of words in the face of the inevitable.
Andreea Borțun about the film:
“Blue Spring is, first and foremost, the realization of long-standing friendships. The idea came to me after seeing a play in which my friend, actress Nicoleta Hâncu, was performing. It had been a while since we had last seen each other, and I realized that I would like to work together again. So, I dug through some older stories, settled on one, and began to rewrite it. Right from the start, I set a few boundaries for myself: no dialogue, no camera movements, two characters. The action was to take place in Alexandria, my hometown.
Somehow, I really wanted to bring to the surface some of the images and sensations I had experienced on the streets there since I was a child. Furthermore, I wanted to make this film in as comfortable an environment as possible: with friends, within the family. This, first and foremost, because it was my first professional directing attempt, and I didn’t want to experience disappointment right from the start.
The team was small, we shot for two days, although we expected three, and the support we received was overwhelming. One of the greatest joys was that, in the end, I managed to bring a project to life, from start to finish, alongside my producer and friend, Gabriela Suciu, to whom I am immensely grateful for the trust she has placed in me all these years.”
- World Premiere at Toronto International Film Festival 2015, Short Cuts Competition
- Romanian Premiere at TimiShort International Short Film Festival 2016, Official Competition, Timișoara, Romania
- Les Films de Cannes a Bucarest 2015, Short Film Program, Bucharest, Romania
- New Romanian Short Waves 2016, Chicago, USA
- Victoria Film Festival 2016, ConVerge Section, Victoria, Canada
- Short Waves Film Festival 2016, Romanian Short Film Program, Poznan, Poland
- Mediterranean Film Festival Split 2016, Official Competition, Split, Croatia
- Particles Festival 2016, Short Film Program, Timisoara, Romania
- “Blue Spring”, directed by Andreea Borțun, in the official competition of the Toronto International Film Festival – aarc.ro