- July 1, 2013
Igor Cobileanski’s first feature film, „The Unsaved”, written in collaboration with a Romanian successful director, Corneliu Porumboiu, had a significant number of participations in festivals and received the FIPRESCI Award at Cottbus International Film Festival, Germany, 2013.
Director: Igor Cobileanski
Scriptwriter: Igor Cobileanski, Corneliu Porumboiu
Cast: Igor Babiac, Sergiu Voloc, Ela Ionescu, Igor Caras-Romanov, Angela Ciobanu
Produced by: Mihaela Popescu, Alexandru Teodorescu
Cinematography by: Oleg Mutu
Film editing by: Mihaela Popescu, Eugen Kelemen, Cristina Ionescu
Category: feature film
Duration: 82 minutes
143,692 – Cinepub viewers
A bittersweet drama about Viorel, a small-time drug dealer living in a little town from forgotten Moldova. His best friend drags him in his insane dream of flying, his mother urges him to start make a living and the woman he loves is about to leave with her lover who is about to be released from custody by a corrupted cop. Viorel decides to straighten his life up, he gets a decent job and tries to save the girl from the destructive relationship she’s having, but soon, he realizes that doing the right thing turns into a relative matter.
Everything is micro in this Romanian/Moldovan film. The city, the crammed blocks of flats, the police department where there is one policeman holding the absolute power, the drugs mafia represented by three young guys who sell weed and distribute it in the mail boxes, led by the „great bandit” in prison who is soon to be released because of lack of evidence. The innocent is Viorel, and his stature as a hero searching for redemption fits in the limits of this micro world: all he can do is help the remaining in custody of the chief-villain. The end, unexpectedly tragic, is an abrupt discontinuity between the world of the movie until this moment and the solving of the conflict this world proposes, which makes the movie all the more interesting, a valuable acquisition in Cinepub’s collection of Romanian films online.
„Cobileanski’s film is excellent in three areas: space configuration, time marking, death suggestion (…) The characters in The Unsaved are not exemplary heroes, but efficient embodiments of personal degradation.” (Marilena Ilieșiu – www.aarc.ro )
„ … the almost macabre social realism, captured in a very sensitive and compassionate manner (both my means of cinematography and the vibrant acting of Igor Babiac, Sergiu Voloc, Ela Ionescu) is drained off by the escapism of the main characters who don’t want (as every Romanian after 1989) to run to America or Asia, but to soar, in an idealistically-suicidal fashion, by the handmade hang-glider into a piece of sky.” (Elena Dulgheru – www.aarc.ro )
„Goose? Do you know all those we give weed to?”
„If you whistle, they might realize we’re humans.
And if I sing like a cuckoo, they’ll think we’re cuckoos?”
„Oina is a symbol of the Moldovans.”
„Do you remember what you told me last night?
You said you loved me.”
„Viorel, if you don’t find a job, you won’t be welcome in this house.”
- Warsaw International Film Festival, The World Today non-competitive section – Poland, 2013
- Molodist International Film Festival, Films Across Borders non-competitive section, Kiev – Ukraine, 2013
- Tbilisi International Film Festival, Films Across Borders non-competitive section – Georgia, 2013
- Transylvania International Film Festival, Romanian Days competition – Romania, 2014
- Crossing Europe, Linz Film Festival 2014, International competition – Austria, 2014 European Film Festival, official competition – Romania, 2014
- Brussels Film Festival official competition – Belgium, 2014
- East of West Award (Igor Cobileanski), Karlovy Vary International Film Festival – Czech Republic, 2013
- Best Feature Film (Alexandru Teodorescu, producer), Best Actor in a Leading Role (Igor Babiac), Best Actor in a Supporting Role (Sergiu Voloc, Igor Caras-Romanov) Best Actress in a Supporting Role (Ela Ionescu), Best Screenplay (Igor Cobileanski, Corneliu Porumboiu), Best Editing (Eugen Kelemen, Cristina Ionescu), Best Hair and Make-up (Ina Lucikina, Mykola Ponomarenko), Best Costume Design (Lilia Ixari), Best Art Direction (Adrian Suruceanu), Gopo Awards – Romania, 2014
- FIPRESCI Award, Cottbus International Film Festival – Germany, 2013
- Best Cinematography (feature) (Oleg Mutu), Best First Feature Film (Igor Cobileanski), Gopo Awards – Romania, 2014
- Best First Feature Film, South East European Film Festival – USA, 2014