- June 7, 2012
Parents who leave still believe in Santa Clause.
“Another Christmas” is a Romanian short film directed by Tudor Giurgiu, about the drama of the children who are left at home with their grandparents, by parents working abroad.
Director: Tudor Giurgiu
Scriptwriter: Roxana Trofin, Raluca Mirescu Ungureanu, Tudor Giurgiu
Cast: Marius Ionuț Păcurar, Maria Seleș, Ovidiu Crișan, Anca Hanu
Produced by: Bogdan Crăciun
Cinematography by: Adrian Silişteanu
Film editing by: Eugen Kelemen
Category: short film
Duration: 15 minutes
11,693 – Cinepub viewers
A boy is expecting his parents to come back from Italy on Christmas. He has notseen them for a year and this time, the boy faces the first major crisis in his life: Is there a Santa Clause or not?
An atypical production in the framework of Romanian short films, “Another Christmas” highlights the issue of a Romanian society affected by the exodus of its members for a better job abroad. Co-writer of the script, Tudor Giurgiu chooses to illustrate this crisis trough the story of the most affected social category: the children of the parents leaving the country who remain at home alone or with their grandparents.
The mix of fine humour, bitter irony and sensitiveness recommends „Another Christmas” as one of those Romanian short film aimed to offer a different subtle description of the contemporary Romanian society.
„Come on, Grandma. I know there is no Santa.
Who told you?
The kids at school. Parents buy the gifts and put them under the Christmas tree.”
”Dad, let’s play in the tent.”
”Come here. Can’t you see we’ve got guests?”
„Yeah, but the child is so young. He can see I’m the only one going to his kindergarten shows. The other kids have their parents there. What does he know about the repair shop?”
„Why are you quiet now? We got you a bagful of toys and you haven’t even looked at them. What will I do with you?”
- Transylvania International Film Festival, Romanian Days – Cluj-Napoca, Romania, 2012
- Anonimul Independent Film Festival – Sfântu Gheorghe, Romania 2012
- Making Waves, New York, USA, 2012
- Trieste Film Festival – Trieste, Italy, 2012
- Sofia International Film Festival – Sofia, Bulgaria, 2013
- Cinequest Film Festival – San Jose, California, USA, 2013
- NexT International Film Festival – Bucharest, Romania, 2013
- Helsinki International Film Festival – Helsinki, Finland, 2013
- Milan International Film Festival – Milan, Italy, 2013