- March 17, 2010
Presented at IDFA (International Documentary Film Festival Amsterdam) and at Sarajevo Film Festival, Kapitalism – Our Improved Formula is a Romanian documentary which proposes an imaginary return of dictator Ceausescu after 20 years of capitalism in his country, Romania.
Dan Voiculescu, Ioan Niculae, George Copos, Dan Diaconescu, Dinu Patriciu or George Becali are only a part of the the country’s businessmen who are shown during this documentary, in their homes, during meetings or yacht cruises.
Director: Alexandru Solomon
Cinematography: Andrei Butică
Delegate producers: Ada Solomon, Pascaline Geoffroy, Cedric Bonin
Duration: 77 minutes
Available only in Romania
50,146 – Cinepub viewers
”Imagine Ceausescu would come back 20 years after he was overthrown and executed. That he would start comparing the state in which he left the country for us, with the state of today. Imagine the former Communist dictator would understand it is some of his nearest who built Capitalism and that – generally – Romanians think only about money, cars and consumption.
The proposal might seem absurd or funny – and it is. Because how else is post communist reality? I prefer to see it as a comedy. Anyway, there’s nothing more we can change about it. After Eastern European countries joined the EU, our recipe for capitalism might be successful in other parts of the world” (Alexandru Solomon).
- Sarajevo Film Festival, Documentary Competition – Bosnia and Herzegovina, 2010
- International Documentary Film Festival Amsterdam (IDFA), Panorama – Holland, 2010
- Goteborg Film Festival, Documentary Competition – Sweden, 2011
- One World Film Festival, Prague – Czech Republic, 2011
- Trieste Alpe Adria Film Festival, Documentary Competition – Italy, 2011
- London International Documentary Festival – United Kingdom, 2011
- Bratislava International Film Festival – Slovakia, 2010
- Free Zone Film Festival Belgrade – Serbia, 2010
- This Human World / Viena, 2010
- goEast Festival of Central and Eastern European Film, Wiesbaden – Germany, 2011
- Roma Independent Film Festival – Italy, 2011
- South East European Film Festival, Los Angeles – USA, 2011
- Vukovar Film Festival – Danube Region Film Festival – Croatia, 2011
- International Human Rights Film Festival in Tirana – Albania, 2011
- Prix Europa, Nominee – Germany, 2010
- Review – Kapitalism – Our Improved Formula – www.variety.com