- September 15, 2016
Cristi Puiu’s sixth feature film, „Sieranevada” is the story of those who choose to find refuge in their own stories and hide their fears behind the “concrete reality” when overwhelmed by unfathomable grief.
Directed by: Cristi Puiu
Script by: Cristi Puiu
Cast: Mimi Brănescu, Bogdan Dumitrache, Dana Dogaru
Producers: Anca Puiu
Cinematography: Barbu Bălășoiu
Edit by: Ciprian Cimpoi, Iulia Mureșan, Letiția Ștefănescu
Sound: Jean-Paul Bernard
Music: Bojan Gagic
Category: feature film
Duration: 2 hours 53 minutes
46,905 – Cinepub viewers
A doctor and his wife are having a family meal in Bucharest to mark the passing of his father when an argument about 9/11 breaks out and deteriorates into a settling of personal scores.
Sieranevada is the story of a commemoration that will never take place. Sieranevada is the imperfect restitution of an unorthodox requiem.
WHAT CRITICS SAY:
„Waiting for a priest who is late is a situation that cannot but summon Beckett’s specter. Just as Buñuel’s characters in „The Exterminating Angel” find themselves at a reception, and realize they can’t go home because an invisible force is holding them back, so do Puiu’s characters gravitate around the apartment and never get to eat; the table keeps being set and set again. And similarly to the male protagonist in Joyce’s short story „The Dead”, at the end of the festive reunion, the character played by Mimi Brănescu has an epiphany next to his wife; or, if not an epiphany, at least a moment of relative grace, which temporarily lifts him above the surrounding derision and triviality, and above his own smallness.”
- 2016 – Chicago – Gold Hugo – best film and Silver Hugo – best director
- 2016 – UCIN – Marele Premiu și Trofeul Uniunii Cineaştilor, Premiul pentru regie, Premiul pentru scenariu, Premiul pentru interpretare feminină (Dana Dogaru), Premiul pentru interpretare feminina – rol secundar (Ana Ciontea), Premiul pentru interpretare masculina – rol secundar (Sorin Medeleni). Diploma pentru cel mai bun film al anului – Asociația criticilor şi filmologilor
- 2017 – Trieste – InCE Award (Iniziativa Centro Europea)
- 2017 – Gopo – Best Film Award (Anca Puiu), Best Screenplay and Best Director (Cristi Puiu), Best Leading Actress (Dana Dogaru), Best Supporting Actress (Ana Ciontea), Best Editing (Letiția Ștefănescu, Cristian Cimpoi)
- Official Selection for the Palme d’Or Award at the 69th edition of the Cannes Film Festival in 2016.
- A death in the family: „Sieranevada” by Cristi Puiu – andreigorzoblog
- Subjectivity and objectivity in Sieranevada – artapolitica.ro
- Sieranevada – review by Peter Bradshaw – aarc.ro
- The apocalypse of globalization and the choral comedy – a review of „Sieranevada” – aarc.ro
- „Sieranevada” – Romania’s Oscar proposal – aarc.ro