- May 15, 2013
„The Danube Way” is one of those short films that point out a truth ignored by the Romanian society and it does so in an absolutely superb way: a child strongly misses his parents who went abroad to work.
Director: Sabin Dorohoi
Scriptwriter: Sabin Dorohoi
Cast: Răzvan Schinteie; Constantin Dinulescu; Serena Stanciu; Ileana Căprariu
Produced by: Sabin Dorohoi
Cinematography by: Lulu de Hillerin
Editing by: Răzvan Dumitriu
Category: short film
Duration: 13 minutes
32,667 – Cinepub viewers
A 7 years old boy lives with his Grandpa in a small Romanian village by the Danube. His parents are working abroad, in Vienna. The kid left at home misses them a lot. The Danube seems the only way to reach them.
„The Danube Way” belongs to the category of Romanian short films that focus on a current social issue: the drama of children whose parents are going to work abroad. The director Sabin Dorohoi chooses the shooting locations and the season (winter) so that they support the feeling of loneliness and abandonment that the children in this situation have to face.
The short film is as delicate and discrete direction-wise as it is moving.
The movie had quite a number of screenings in the shorts category of various festivals both in Romania and abroad.
„Will they come back from Vienna this summer?
Well… that’s what they promised to me… What about your folks?
Yeah… My parents will come back too.”
„Well, you know, sometimes when you cannot express your feelings by words, you write it down on a piece of paper.”
„The Danube is the second largest river in Europe.”
The weather is bad here. And the Danube has run dry. Why did you make that promise?”
- Palm Springs Short Fest – USA, 2013
- SEEFEst Los Angeles – USA, 2013
- California Independent Film Festival – USA, 2013
- Oulu Film Fest – Finland, 2014
- Nordkapp International Film Festival – Norway, 2014
- Lago International Film Festival – Italy, 2014
- Vilnius International Film Festival – Lithuania, 2014
- Olympia International Film Festival – Greece, 2014
- Postira Seaside International Film Festival – Croatia, 2014
- In the Palace Film Festival Balchik – Bulgaria, 2014
- Young Audience Award for Cinemed at Festival de Film Mediterraneen in Montpellier – France, 2013
- Best Cinematography at Capalbio Cinema Rome – Italy, 2014
- Can a filmmaker highlight a social issue — on a tight budget? – www.cs.usfca.edu